Our antipodean friends are some lucky buggers. Australian horror specialists Monster Pictures have just revealed details of their upcoming “Greasy Down Under” home release of Jim Hosking’s The Greasy Strangler, and it’s by far the most substantial, extras-packed and downright greasy version available anywhere.
Hosking’s batshit crazy comedy ranks amongst my favourite genre flicks of recent years. It’s deliciously repulsive on numerous levels, mesmerizingly weird and utterly hilarious, and seems to have come from an alternate universe of cinema where staple storytelling tropes are recognisably present, but skewed and bastardised into something entirely alien.
Limited to just 2000 copies, Monster’s Blu-ray clearly has the collector in mind, and comes with some striking new artwork. It hits Australian shelves on March 22nd, along with DVD and On Demand versions. Read on for the full breakdown of the package’s greasy contents:
• Collectable Packaging with Newly Commissioned Artwork & Reversible Sleeve
• Audio Commentary with director Jim Hosking, Michael St. Michaels and Sky Elobar
On-set Interviews with –
• Michael St. Michaels (Big Ronnie)
• Sky Elobar (Big Brayden
• Elizabeth De Razzo (Janet)
• Holland MacFallister, Abdoulaye N’Gom, Sam Dissanayake (Tourists)
• Carl Solomon (Various Cast)
• Ant Timpson (Producer and Art Department)
• Jason Kisvarday (Production Designer)
• Zack Carlson (Prop Department)
• Collectable Slipcase Packaging with art by Jay Shaw
• Newly Commissioned sleeve art by Australian artist Pierre Iloga
• Bullshit Artist – an interview with co-writer/director Jim Hosking.
• I’m A Cheesy Old Cornball – an interview with actor Sky Elobar (Big Brayden).
• Hootie Tootie Disco Cutie! – an interview with actress Elizabeth De Razzo (Janet).
• The Greasy Trap – cast and crew discuss their experiences working on-set in the house used in the film.
• The Greasy Effect – Jim Hosking talks about the special effects used in the film.
• Greasy Down Under Cuisine – actor Sky Elobar and actress Elizabeth De Razzo endure a selection of Aussie foods.
• Greasy Down Under Road Trip – an on the road to Ballarat home movie.
• Monster Fest 2016 Q&A with actor Sky Elobar & actress Elizabeth De Razzo.
• Deleted Scenes / Extended Scenes
• Behind-The-Scenes Photo Gallery
• Every Day Australians React to The Greasy Strangler
• Jim Hosking Announces The #GreasyDownUnder Tour
• The #GreasyDownUnder Road Trip Advertisement
• Monster Fest Mini-Fest Hobart Shout Out
Phew. That’s a whole lot of grease for your money.
Words: Kevan Farrow (@KevanX)